Thursday, November 05, 2020

 It's been a while. I've gone through a significant career shift since joining the Navy Band and moved halfway across the globe with my husband and dog.
Since I'm not teaching lessons much online due to having a regular salary and not wanting to compete with other bassoonists who may not be so lucky, I have not been keeping up with this blog. However, since the onset of Covid-19, the Navy band is deliberately increasing its online presence in order to stay with the times and keep everyone just a little bit safer. All in all, it seems like a good time to get back into my blogging. We will all pull through these times together and when we get through them we will have learned so many new coping mechanisms and valuable skills. 
Since last year I have found myself writing and arranging music for various projects. I've also started learning how to fly a drone, edit video, and edit audio using more advanced software like Adobe. 
I really enjoy editing video and audio, almost more than performing. Here's an example of some of the droning footage we've taken in Europe (yes this is a two-man operation) that I paired to a song I wrote the lead sheet for 6 years ago and in which I am playing the bassoon.



All that being said, I did enter an online bassoon competition. Fingers crossed I didn't totally embarrass myself. I haven't heard if I made this round and I'm not sure when I'll know more but I check my email somewhat anxiously every day even though I have no certainty that I'll advance.
It's been a great time to catch up with old acquaintances who suddenly find themselves a little less busy. The winter months can be a little lonely for folks stationed overseas who can't afford tickets to go home when holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas come around. Then add the time difference, 6 hours for the east coast, and 9 for the west coast. Not that I'm complaining, I absolutely love living in Europe and learning a new language. Parlo un po d'Italiano adesso, non bene ma va bene cosi.
Playing in the Navy Band has created a new kind of financial stability that was initially quite shocking for both me and my husband. It's very different from the freelancing/teaching life. Overall, it's great. I've learned quite a bit about Navy culture and how to wear a uniform, salute, use the chain of command, etc. It's always fun when you find out old pals from high school or college took the same path and are living their Navy dream somewhere else around the globe. I think if I could stay in Europe, I would. I love being able to use, however poorly, my German and French skills in countries like Switzerland, Germany, and France. I found a new love for the UK and am always down to try a restaurant's fish and chips, only to complain bitterly about small portion sizes or soggy crust and undersized chips. It's hard to find legit fish and chips outside of the UK. Likewise, it's hard to get excellent beer outside of Germany. The Czech Republic has good beer, but it's not as good as a solid German Dunkel on tap. You may find yourself wondering if it's beer or soda since some of them can be surprisingly refreshing and sweet.
Italy is weird when it comes to their cuisine, the north can't do what the south does; fried foods, pizza, pasta with a variety of crustaceans and bread that is hard to stop eating when dipped in olive oil, and the south can't do what the north does; florentine steak, truffles and chiantis that will have you feeling light after one glass. Bologna has the most incredible pasta bolognese, you may think you've died and gone to heaven.

Here's a great picture of Napolitan Pizza I found on the web, you can expect to pay around 6 euros, about 7 US dollars for an entire 12" pizza, and you're expected to eat the whole thing, by yourself. This is your dinner, never lunch because the dough is still rising, and while some Italians eat it with a fork and knife, the more savage amongst them just tear off pieces and roll them up since the crust at the bottom is so thin. One of my dear Italian friends came over to show us how to make pizza dough. Unfortunately, it was a flop and I have since come to realize that the art that goes into making this incredible dough is not to be underestimated. This is why you will never get pizza in Naples for lunch. 



No comments: